tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 16 00:28:35 1997

Re: KLBC mu'ghomHomwIj vIlo'be'

At 11:20 97-12-15 -0800, Doneq wrote:
}jabbI'IDvam vIghItlhmeH mu'ghomHomwIj vIlo'be'.
}I don't use my dictionary to write this message.

majQa'!  bItlhetlhbej.

}pabbogh jabbI'ID QaQ vIghItlh 'e' vInID.
}I try to write a good message which follow the rules.

{qon} is more appropriate than {ghItlh} here, because it is the composition
of the message, not the physical writing of it that is the challenge.  Marc
Okrand explained in an issue of HolQeD that {ghItlh} represents the physical
making of marks, while {qon} is used to describe the act of composing words
into meaning.

}DaHjaj vengwIjDaq bIrqu' muD. vItIvtaHbe'.
}Today it's very cold in my city. I'm not enjoying it.

Putting {-be'} after {-taH} somewhat suggests that you are enjoying it in
fits and starts.  You just aren't enjoying it on an ongoing basis.
{vItIvbe'taH} would mean that you aren't enjoying it, and that this is an
enduring condition.

}tujqa' 'e' vItul.
}I hope it get warm again.

If the "it" in this sentence refers back to {muD}, no problem.  If it the
indefinite subject that performs the action in English "it's cold" or "it's
raining," then I suggest using the indefinite subject marker {-lu'}:
{bIrlu'qa'}.  This usage isn't certain, we don't know how Klingons talk
about the weather.

}'ach qaStaHvIS poH nI' *winter* 'oHtaHmo' tujqa'be'.
}But it won't because it'll be winter for a long time.

You're thinking in English here. "It will be winter."  What is "it"?  There
is no it.  It's an English idiom.  Perhaps:

qaStaHvIS poH nI' taHmo' *winter* tujqa'be'.
OR
nI'taHvIS poH *winter* vISIQnISmo' tugh tujqa'be'.

}bIrqu'bej SuS je.
}The wind is extremely cold too.

maj.

}ram 'oHtaH 'ej Do' juHwIjDaq tuj.
}It's night and fortunately it's warm in my house.

There's that "it" again.  Twice. :)  First clause looks more like "it's
trivial."

Perhaps {DaH taH ram}.  Maybe you can think of something better.

}'ach wa'leS poHvam vI*sport*nIS. bIrqu'.
}But tomorrow at this time I have to go sporting. That'll be cold.
}
}SochleS maghIQ SoSwI' be'nI' jIH je.
}Next week my mother, my sister and I will go on vacation.

Damughchu'ta'.

}*Christmas* wIlopmeH *France*Daq maleng.
}We go to France to celebrate Christmas.

Or: "we travel in France"

}*France*Daq juppu' law' wIghaj.
}We have many friends in France.

{DIghaj}.  Gets you every time until you learn it.

}'ach loQ qay': *Hov leng* wIbejlaHbe'! :)
}But there's one little problem: we can't watch star trek! :)

yIqon. :)

}pItlh.
}Done.

majQa'. Doneq, qaStaHvIS jar 'ar tlhIngan Hol DaHaD?  BG vIDataHvIS
Dataghlaw', qar'a'?  yIHem. ghItlhlIj vIyajlaHchu'. bIqontaHvIS tlhIngan Hol
neH Dalo' 'e' vIchaw'.   jIHlIjDaq tlhIngan Hol neH yIlo' 'ej yablIjDaq
tlhIngan Hol neH yIlo' bIqontaHvIS.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level