tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 15 21:02:29 1997

Re: KLBC Challenge: similar suffixes

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott D. Randel <[email protected]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email protected]>
Date: Monday, December 15, 1997 6:06 PM
Subject: Re: KLBC Challenge: similar suffixes

>bIpujmo' QaghlIjmo' bIbIQ
>(Because you are weak, you are sad because of your mistake.)
>[That last one was tough.  I hope I came close.]

This is the second double {-mo'} sentence I've seen in response to Qov's
challenge so far, and I must say it looks icky to me.  I can see why Scott
had trouble with it.  It doesn't break any known rules, but it doesn't seem
to want to do that.  You're giving two causes in two different formats: verb
and noun.  These are two causes of the same event, yet you cannot join them
with any sort of conjunction.

By the way, "sad" is {'IQ}.  {bIQ} is "water."

Fortunately for this sentence, it may be recast, though without the noun
suffix {-mo'}:

bIpujmo' 'ej bIQaghpu'mo' bI'IQ.
Because you are weak, and because you have erred, you are sad.

This doesn't work all the time.  We were lucky enough to be dealing with
{Qagh}, with is both a noun and a verb.

SuStel
Stardate 97958.1

Back to archive top level