tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 16 00:28:38 1997

Re: KLBC Challenge: similar suffixes

At 12:25 97-12-15 -0800, Doneq wrote:

}vummoHwI'wI' ghaH.
}He's my employer.

val.  wa' mu'Daq cha' mojaq Dalo'ta'. :)

}nuch'a' Da'a' romuluSngan?
}Does the Romulan behave as a great coward?

maj.

}pumpu' naghpu'.
}Rocks have fallen.

jatlhlaH'a' naghmeyvetlh?

}juplI' vIHoHlI'.
}I am busy killing your friend.

maj. Here "am busy" works quite well to translate the {-lI'} idea. I often
ue "in the process of."

}muHaqmo' HaqwI' 'oy'mo' jIvIHlaHbe'.
}I can't move because of the pain and because the surgeon is
}performing surgery on me.

Getting both {-mo'}mey in a sentence is trickier than I realized.  You
didn't use a conjunction in the Klingon to join the noun and the verb
because there isn't one. The Klingon sentence is fine, but the translation
misrepresents it.  Better would be "I can't move from the pain because the
surgeon performs surgery on me."

I'd read {muHaqmo' HaqwI'} as "because the surgeon performs/performed
surgery on me" and use {muHaqlI'mo'} for "is performing" or "was
performing."  You're talking about this proces going on at the time at which
the event, you're not being able to move, occurs.

}And now for the grand finale:
}
}vummoHwI''a'lI' vIDalI'mo' jupwI'pu'mo' je bIHoH'eghpu' 'e' DanID'a'?
}
}Have you tried to kill yourself because of my friends and because I
}was busy to behave as you great employer?

Here you have tried to link a noun + {-mo'} and a verb clause in {-mo'} with
a noun conjunction and it doesn't quite work. Gallant try, though. :)

}(I know, {bIHoH'eghpu'} should be better with a {-ta'} suffix, and
}{vIDalI'mo'} with a {-taH} suffix, but hey, I had to put those {-pu'}
}and {-lI'} suffixes *somewhere*... :)

Good comments. The {-pu'} is ok, but the {-lI'} i really hard to support
there. I don't think the "busy" translation works as well here.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level