tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 13 16:17:51 1997

Re: KLBC: Merry Christmas

At 22:03 97-12-11 -0800, peHruS wrote:

> wa' ben lupma' *Christmas* wIlopmeH navHommey vIchenmoHta'
Why are you using the perfective here?  You had made them, and then
... what?  Don't you just mean "A year ago I made cards."  That's not
perfective.

> DISvam navHommey chu' vIchenmoHta' je

Perfective ok here.  Either you have made them, or you will have made
them.

> qoDDaq tu'lu': Klingon Egg Nog

OVS yIbuSHa'Qo'. {qoDchajDaq <Klingon Egg Nog> tu'lu'} or something like
{qoDDaq vay' tu'lu' : <Klingon Egg Nog>}

> cha' QIm
> pel'aQchaj (tIghorchu')
> jav tlho'ren nIm
> tlhorghmoHbogh ngat

{ngat} means gunpowder.  The fact that the English translation
contains the word poweder does not make it a reasonable word to use
to represent any powder.

> wa' HIvje' bID wornagh HoSqu'
> porHommey SuD ghorchu'lu'bogh
Watch suffix order.  {-lu'} is a type 5 and {-chu'} a type 6.
I presume you're talking about ground herbs here?

> neHjejmey ghoQ

fresh {neHjej}?  Is this a typo for naQjej?

> peHruS (raised a few questions regarding measures, for example)

They are the same questions: we've had all along about the measure {bID}.
Does an expression indicating a quantity of something go before the noun
like a number or after the noun like its part.

{?bID chab} and {?jav tlho'ren nIm} and {loS loD}
or
{?chab bID} and {?nIm jav tlho'ren} and {loD cha' DeSDu'}

I think it's probably the former.  But I've never spoken to Maltz about it. :P

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level