tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 13 16:17:40 1997

Re: KLBC: -chuq and Object?

At 07:03 97-12-13 -0800, charghwI' wrote:
}On Tue, 9 Dec 1997 23:47:44 -0800 (PST) Qov <[email protected]>
}wrote:
}> At 22:28 97-12-09 -0800, peHruS wrote:
}> }maja'chuqtaHvIS lut wIja'
}>
}> This doesn't escape the problem that we do not know that the thing told can
}> be an object of {ja'}.
}I thought that Okrand spoke on that fairly recently. Ah, yes. I
}found it:
}
}**********************************************************
}MSN: The object of  jatlh "speak" is that which is spoken.
}Thus, it's OK to say "speak a language," for example:
}
}tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh "you speak Klingon"
}(tlhIngan Hol "Klingon language," Dajatlh "you speak it")
}
}But it's also OK to say "speak an address, speak a lecture," for
}example:
}
}SoQ Dajatlh "you speak an address" or, more colloquially, "you
}deliver an address" or "you make a speech" (SoQ "speech,
}lecture, address," Dajatlh "you speak it")
}**********************************************************
}
}So, it is a small stretch to say:
}
}maHvaD lut wIjatlh.

I personally have no problem with {lut wIja'}.  I am not, however, supposed
to be teaching the beginners to write in the Qovian SuStelian OR
charghwI'Ian dialects.  I'm supposed to be teaching them to write Klingon
that is acceptable to all the grammarians.  SuStel is strongly opposed to
{ja'} taking an object other than the person addressed.  I have no problem
with subordinate clauses going anywhere Okrand says they may.  charghwI'
won't accept them anywhere other than at the beginning. I work around both
restrictions. If someone wants to write Klingon that is unacceptable to one
or more of the grammarians, that's his choice.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level