tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 10 07:16:06 1997

Re: so-called Romulan ale

Would it work as well with:

romuluSHey HIq?

It seems that the "so-called" -qoq doesn't serve here as well as
the "apparent" -Hey, since one assumes this Morskan ale looked
like Romulan ale.

charghwI'

On Mon, 1 Dec 1997 18:51:47 -0800 (PST) "Mark E. Shoulson"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> >Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 04:09:17 -0800 (PST)
> >From: "Anthony.Appleyard" <[email protected]>
> >
> >  If some meat is sold as {Qa'} and it actually is {Sargh}, then it is
> >{Qa'qoq}. No query here.
> >  But when in matter about the 1914-1918 war I read of "the so-called Spanish
> >Flu, which actually was first detected in the USA", a query arose. If some ale
> >is sold as Romulan ale but it actually comes from Morska, then it is
> >"so-called Romulan ale"; but in Klingon where does the -qoq go?
> >  Try {romuluS HIqqoq}; despite its origin it at least is not HIqqoq but HIq:
> >genuine ale, not "so-called ale".
> >  Try {romuluSqoq HIq}; "ale from so-called Romulus"; this seems to say that I
> >do not recognize the State of Romulus, which is not my intended meaning.
> >  Try more wordily {romulIuSvo' qenglu'boghqoq HIq'e'}; "ale which was
> >so-called-carried from Romulus"; but I can't use -qoq on verbs.
>

> I'd go for "romuluS HIqqoq", relying on context to treat "romuluS HIq" as a
> single lexical item.  Klingon isn't Lojban; I don't need unambiguious
> scoping.
>
> ~mark

Back to archive top level