tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 10 07:20:10 1997

Re: Suggestion for Lurkers

Worf jang Qov:
>}>}Here's my sentence...  tlhIngan yaS 'ejyo' je jIH.
>}>"I am a Klingon officer and Starfleet."
>}>
>}>I recommend you repeat the word {yaS}.  {tlhIngan yaS 'ejyo' yaS je jIH}  "I
>}>am a Klingon officer and a Starfleet officer."

I have a nagging suspicion that the original phrase was supposed to
be "I am a Klingon and a Starfleet officer," and the word order was
wrong.  That would be {tlhIngan, 'ejyo' yaS je jIH}.  It makes it a
lot easier on the people assessing your sentences if you include an
explanation in English of what you are trying to say.  That way they
(we) won't have to guess at your meaning, and will be able to tell if
you have accidentally said something other than what you intended.

Once you've got the grammar down well enough that you can *compose*
your messages in Klingon instead of translating them from English,
you probably don't need to go to the trouble of translating them *to*
English for us. :-)

>}You're the only one to reply to that, I think...
>
>Probably they took it as a KLBC-type thing and left it alone.

qar.  The people presently on the list seem to understand that when a
beginner asks a question, it's best to wait for one "official" answer.
That cuts down on the potential for confusing or contradictory advice,
and helps to avoid incorrect "corrections".

>}Well, I want to know the definition of "lurker" when (deleted the email...
>}grr) it was said that 250-odd people out of 300 or so were lurkers...
>
>I believe the definition is "have not posted since joining the list."

The mailing list server program keeps statistics on how many messages
each subscriber has posted.  The server isn't being cooperative at the
moment and I don't have the recent figures handy, but in early
October, there were 390 subscribers, and just over 150 of them were
responsible for all of the previous ten thousand or so messages sent.
I label as "lurkers" the remaining people, who hadn't sent anything in
at least that period of time, which I estimate is on the order of six
to eight months.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level