tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 09 20:57:38 1997

Re: Suggestion for Lurkers

>At 21:08 97-12-08 -0800, Worf wrote:
>
>}Here's my sentence...  tlhIngan yaS 'ejyo' je jIH.
>}
>}Correct at will...
>
>"I am a Klingon officer and Starfleet."
>
>I recommend you repeat the word {yaS}.  {tlhIngan yaS 'ejyo' yaS je jIH}  "I
>am a Klingon officer and a Starfleet officer."  You can say in English "I'm
>Starfleet," but even in English it is a shortcut, and I'm not sure that
>shortcut works in Klingon.

You're the only one to reply to that, I think (I go through the list
backwards, from most recent to least, so I wouldn't know if anyone posted
before).

>I'll try to come up with a KLBC challenge that takes that time into account.
>I hate looking things up, too.

I suggest someone gives one sentence say weekly, then we can translate it
and send back... anyone else agree? (Maybe it might get some lurkers to
stop lurking and start *learning*...)

>I read this and parsed it as "some of us are afraid of the elders," which
>immediately makes me feel guilty about my previous, slightly grumpy KLBC
>answer (sorry QatanI, I'm tired).  I'm hoping you meant it as "some of us
>are afraid of the elders' contributions," which I freely admit can be pretty
>scary.  There are veteran listmembers who have very strong opinions and like
>to state them strongly.  I've been reduced to tears myself by a personal
>attack on something I posted.

Something that every newbie learns... I'm guilty of it myself in some
areas...  The fear of having something rejected, and scorned of.

>.. message got truncated but I assume it as something about not wanting to
>look stupid.  I can't argue with that.  I didn't really want to be
>Beginners' Grammarian.  I didn't feel advanced enough and I dreaded looking
>stupid when I --inevitably--made really dumb mistakes and oversights in
>front of the whole list, like the other day when I got the words for pants
>and shirt mixed up. :-0

}}:-)

>But consider for a moment how you feel when you see someone else's posting.
>Do you think "what a total DORK!  He used the wrong VERB PREFIX!"?  I doubt
>it.  I think most people admire most of the contributors.  I meet with some
>other BGs on the net sometimes and when we talk about beginners it's either
>to admire their efforts or to discuss how I can explain things better. Or
>else it's me jumping up and down in virtual delight at how many new people
>have just started.

BTW, your MU* (I'm not a MU* person) classes still going on [at that
ungodly hour >>GG<<]?

>This is long and perhaps not strictly within the charter of the list, but I
>imagine there are a lot of lurkers following this thread, and take the
>approach that what you feel a lot of others feel too.

Well, I want to know the definition of "lurker" when (deleted the email...
grr) it was said that 250-odd people out of 300 or so were lurkers...

--
Worf, Son of Mogh (Worf Rozhenko)

[email protected]

IRC: EFNet: Worf/wo`rIv
  StarLink: Worf
    SL-IRC: Worf
(Mask to look for: *!*@*.direct.ca)

URLs: http://worf.home.ml.org or http://www.home.ml.org/worf

Email/reply to [email protected] with "**PGP KEY**" in the subject to get my
public key.

Back to archive top level