tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 09 12:26:10 1997

Re: Suggestion for Lurkers

At 21:08 97-12-08 -0800, Worf wrote:

}Here's my sentence...  tlhIngan yaS 'ejyo' je jIH.
}
}Correct at will...

"I am a Klingon officer and Starfleet."

I recommend you repeat the word {yaS}.  {tlhIngan yaS 'ejyo' yaS je jIH}  "I
am a Klingon officer and a Starfleet officer."  You can say in English "I'm
Starfleet," but even in English it is a shortcut, and I'm not sure that
shortcut works in Klingon.

}Maybe the difficulty is trying to come up with a sentence (I took part in
}an exchange of sentences, and coming up with them took more than its fair
}share of time (usuall ~10 minutes to come up with one, ~5 to translate)...

I'll try to come up with a KLBC challenge that takes that time into account.
I hate looking things up, too.

}>	Understanding of the language will only come through use,
}>unfortunately
}>beginning with misuse which later leads to learning, *if* you continue
}>to study the canon and the contributions of the KLI Email List Veterans
}>and Elders.
}
}Of which some of us are afraid of, unfortunately...

I read this and parsed it as "some of us are afraid of the elders," which
immediately makes me feel guilty about my previous, slightly grumpy KLBC
answer (sorry QatanI, I'm tired).  I'm hoping you meant it as "some of us
are afraid of the elders' contributions," which I freely admit can be pretty
scary.  There are veteran listmembers who have very strong opinions and like
to state them strongly.  I've been reduced to tears myself by a personal
attack on something I posted.

}trying to go up the
}long ladder of understanding and speaking, yet aware that our stupid
}(honest) ...

... message got truncated but I assume it as something about not wanting to
look stupid.  I can't argue with that.  I didn't really want to be
Beginners' Grammarian.  I didn't feel advanced enough and I dreaded looking
stupid when I --inevitably--made really dumb mistakes and oversights in
front of the whole list, like the other day when I got the words for pants
and shirt mixed up. :-0

But consider for a moment how you feel when you see someone else's posting.
Do you think "what a total DORK!  He used the wrong VERB PREFIX!"?  I doubt
it.  I think most people admire most of the contributors.  I meet with some
other BGs on the net sometimes and when we talk about beginners it's either
to admire their efforts or to discuss how I can explain things better. Or
else it's me jumping up and down in virtual delight at how many new people
have just started.

This is long and perhaps not strictly within the charter of the list, but I
imagine there are a lot of lurkers following this thread, and take the
approach that what you feel a lot of others feel too.

bIyuDHa'mo' qatlho'.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level