tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 09 14:54:48 1997

Re: KLBC: vIghojqa'

At 05:01 97-12-09 -0800, 'olIva wrote:
}On Sun, 12 Oct 1997, Qov wrote:
}> At 15:12 97-10-11 -0700, 'olIva wrote:
}>
}> }vIQapba'.
}> }I won, of course.
}>
}> {jIQapba'}.  vay' DaQaplaHbe', bIQap neH.  No object.
}
}Did you mean that <Qap> can't take an object, ever, or just that I
}shouldn't have given it one there? (I know that my English translation
}doesn't have an object, but I was really trying to say "I won *them* [i.e.
}the battles]".) I interpreted this as saying that <Qap> was intransitive,
}but I found this on the wordlist in the KLI website:

I did mean that ...

}| Qap
}|
}| win (a competition) (v.t.) {from Okrand's notes, HolQeD Vol. 2, No. 4}
}| ["'To win' a competition is Qap. (If it's a decisive or particularly
}| gratifying victory, they'd say Qapchu', even though that's a bit
}| redundant.) In TKD, Qap is translated as 'succeed, work, function. To a
}| Klingon, to win is to function perfectly.] {TKW page 211}
}
}vay' QaplaH'a' vay'?
}Can someone win something?
}
}may' QaplaH'a' vay'?
}Can someone win a battle?

bIlugh.  DopDaq qul yIchenmoH QobDI' ghu'.
You are right.  I made a mistake. Thank you for following up.

}Also, is <wo'rIv> considered to be canon? It was in the wordlist, but Marc
}Okrand seemed to be deliberately avoiding giving Worf's Klingon name in
}KGT, referring to him as <mogh puqloD>, as if he wasn't happy with
}<wo'rIv>.

wo'rIv has been used in canon, in an article Marc Okrand helped with in a
Paramount magazine.  Perhaps he couldn't remember what he had used. :)

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level