tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 09 14:54:54 1997

Re: jI'elta' 'e' luSovmoHlu'pu'jaj

At 21:41 97-12-08 -0800, ghunchu'wI' wrote:
}ja' 'atlh:
}>    <'atlh> ponglu'.  ghojwI' <at Oberlin College> jIH.  tlhIngan Hol
}>QaQchoHchu'meH jI'elpu'.
}
}maj.  jumuvmo' maSach.  tugh bIjatlhchu'jaj.  batlh yIHaD!

I seem to have missed this message the first time around.  Thanks for
following up, ghunchu'wI'.

'atlh, I'm Qov, the current Beginners' Grammarian.
QaQchoHchu'meH tlhIngan HollIj jISaH je jIH.
(I'm here to perfect your Klingon, too.)

> Re: jI'elta' 'e' luSovmoHlu'pu'jaj

I think you're going for "Let it be made known that I have entered," and
it's pretty good.

jI'elta' - "I have entered" - qaybe'
'e' - indicates that the previous sentence is the object of the next verb
luSovmoHlu'pu'jaj - a few corrections here:

The perfective suffic {-pu'} isn't allowed either after {'e'}(TKD 6.2.5) or
with the suffix {-jaj} (TKD Addendum 4.2.9).

The object {'e'} is considered to be singular (from examples), so the prefix
required is the null prefix.

When the second sentence of a sentence-as-object has an indefinite subject,
{net} is used instead of {'e'}. (TKD 6.2.5)

{SovmoH} means "make [someone] know."  The object of the sentence is the one
upon whom this knowledge is thrust. I have a couple of suspicions as to what
you are attempting here, but I'm not going to mention them for fear of
confusing you, if you're not actually doing either.

I would say your sentence as:

jI'elta' net SovchoHjaj
"Let it become known that I have entered."

Also {jIjeSchoHta'}  "I have started to participate" would be more literal.

If I've misinterpreted your intended meaning, or you caught where I
sidestepped something I didn't want to explain, follow up and bring me to
account.

> <'atlh> ponglu'.
I read this as "Atlh is named" or "one names Atlh".
'atlh 'oH pongwIj'e' - my name is Atlh
jIHvaD 'atlh ponglu' - I am called Atlh ... or does this mean that Atlh is
named after me?  I don't know.  It's a little annoying not having the
definitive answer on how to introduce oneself in Klingon.  Perhaps we should
just thumb our chests and grunt our names. :)

>ghojwI' <at Oberlin College> jIH.

The locative phrase in Klingon always goes before the object-verb-subject
(TKD 6.1) and is marked as the location for the rest of the sentence with
the type-5 noun suffix {-Daq} (TKD 3.3.5).

*Oberlin College*Daq ghojwI' jIH

> tlhIngan Hol QaQchoHchu'meH jI'elpu'.

"I have entered in order to perfect (i.e. change to being completely good)
Klingon."  The subject of a sentence always goes after the verb, so
{tlhIngan Hol} should follow {QaQ}.  I also suggest you mean {tlhIngan
HolwIj} -- "my Klingon" and not Klingon in general.  Although we do have
listmembers who think that they can perfect Klingon by adding a few rules of
their own, I don't think that was what you intended to declare.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level