tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 09 14:54:34 1997

Re: We tell each other a story!

At 06:32 97-12-09 -0800, qelayn wrote:
}
}I've read many different ways to say 'We tell each other a story' all of
}which have been denounced by Qov Beginner's Grammarian.

Oooh, do I come off that harshly?  It's not so much denouncing as refusing
to endorse.

}So here is my
}idea:
}Why not topicalise the word 'story' then the topic of the wIja'chuq will
}not be the subject but the object (Which incidentally is not allowed)?

Yikes.  I think I must have said something very odd about the topicalization
suffix.  If there is a posting that gave you the idea that a topicalized
noun became the object instead of the subject, please show it to me so I can
explain what it was SUPPOSED to say, because THIS wasn't it.  Let me go over
topicalization.

The type 5 noun suffix {-'e'} raises the stress within the sentence on the
noun it is attached to.  In English we would underline or italicise the
word, use an expression like "the very" or "as for the," or repeat the word.

{Duj'e' vIneH} "I want a SHIP."
{HeghtaH puqpu''e'} "The children, ah the children, are dying."
{yoH roghraH 'ach Qaw'law'lI' ta''e')  "The population is brave but as for
the emperor, he seems to be fleeing."
{'Iw SuD'e' vIneH.  qatlh 'Iw Doq DaSuqta'?} "I wanted GREEN BLOOD, why have
you obtained red blood?"

The suffix {-'e'} has two other uses, neither of which contradicts this one,
they are just special cases of raising stress.

}lut'e' wIja'chuq

No better than {lut wIja'chuq}.

}(chaHvaD lut vIjatlh 'ej jIHvaD lutvam jatlh chaH)

{... jIHvaD lutvam lujatlh chaH}.  Otherwise perfectly acceptable.

Does this make more sense now?

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level