tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 08 22:02:55 1997

Re: [KLBC] New student joins the list. (tetlh muv ghojwI' chu')

-----Original Message-----
From: Qov <[email protected]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email protected]>
Date: Sunday, 07 December , 1997 01:25
Subject: Re: [KLBC] New student joins the list. (tetlh muv ghojwI' chu')

>}now going to try to introduce myself in tlhIngan Hol. Please correct me if
>}make any blunders!
>
>Sorry about the delay, Etienne.  People haven't not responded to your
>message because we're not glad you've joined us, it's just that they are
>obeying the KLBC rules and holding off answering until I, the current
>'Beginners' Grammarian,' have.  And I'm a few days behind.

Don't worry I know you're very busy with all us beginners!

>} qaghItlhneS,
>
>{ghItlh} is an awkward word.  It means write, but it doesn't carry
>the same connotations as English "write."  It implies enscribing,
>marking, the physical process of making marks appear.  It doesn't
>refer to the content or the meaning the way English "writing a story"
>"writing your mother" do.  To say instead?  The most Klingon thing
>would be to skip the salutation and get right to what you want to
>say.  Or perhaps {SamuvneS} -- which reminds me to point out that
OK. qa- is the wrong suffix, but I though ghItlh was the right verb because
I got it from the welcome letter of the Postal Course. I just thought it was
a standard way of opening a letter like Dear... in English)
>{qa-} indicates you are addressing one person, when really you are
>addressing the list at large.  Skip down a few lines in the table to
>the prefix for " I - you (plural)."   I'm guessing from your first
>name that you know the distinction between "tu" and "vous" in French.

My name is French but there isn't much else about me that is. I happen to
have a smattering of French from school but I'm far more comfortable with
Klingon than French!

>Same idea, except Klingons would never use {tlhIH} in singualr to be
>polite.
>
>} pongwIj 'oH 'etyen'e' 'ej
>
>In more direct order: {'etyen 'oH pongwIj'e'}.  "My name is Etienne," as
>opposed to "Etienne is my name."  Same Object Verb Subject applies even for
>the copula verb to be.

Yep. I slipped there.

>} "Malta" SepDaq jIyIn. [My name is Etienne and I live in the island of
>Malta]
>
>That's a good way to get around the lack of a word for island, yet still
set
>So:
>
>Malta Sep vIDab.
>
>} juStaHvIS wej jar thlIngan Hol vIHaD
>[I've been studying Klingon for three months]
>
>Normally we would use the verb {qaS}, "occur," to describe the passage of

Ah yes! I saw it in TKW. I didn't realize that it was the verb which would
normally be used. Thanks!

>time. The verb {juS} means pass in the sense of "overtake" and Klingon does
>not tend to use physical metaphors with time.
>

>} Qatlhqu' 'e' vISovbe' 'ach jIvumqang
>}[I didn't know it would be so difficult but I'm willing to work!]
>
>bIvumbejtaH.  bIDoj.  bIqeqtaHchugh bIjatlhchu'.
>
>Malta Sep De' vIghajbe' jIH.
>MaltaDaq *Italy* Hol *England* Hol *Malta* Hol je jatlh nganpu', qar'a'?
>maHvaD SeplIj yIDel.

DaH Malta Sep De' Sanob

MaltaDaq Holmey law' jatlhlu' 'ach *Maltese* 'oH *Malta* Hol'e'.
< Many languages are spoken in Malta but Maltese is the official language >
Holmey DuDghach'a' 'oH *Malta* Hol'e'
< Maltese is a big mixture of languages >
*Italy* Hol mu'mey *England* Hol mu'mey je ngaS *Malta* Hol 'ach bIH pIm
*Malta* Hol
< Maltese contains words from Italian and English but it is different from
them >
qaStaHvIS Malta qun woQmey law' lucharghpu'
<Throughout Malta's history it has been conquered by many powers >
lucharghpu' *Rome* Sep *France* Sep *Arabia* Sep *Spain* Sep *England* Sep
je Hoch
< Rome, France, Arabia, Spain and England have all conquered malta >
'ach SuvwI'pu' yoH gharwI'pu' 'ong je chaH 'e' *Malta* nganpu' 'ej jajvam
matlhab!
<but the Maltese are brave warriors and sly diplomats and today we are
independent!>
*Mediterranean* bIQ'a'Daq Sep mach 'oH *Malta* Sep'e' 'ach Segh Hem maH
< malta is a small island in the Mediterranean sea but we are a proud people

rut tlhInganpu' wIrur !
< Sometimes we resemble the Klingons!  ;-) >

Qapla'

'etyen

Back to archive top level