tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 08 21:34:54 1997

Re: [KLBC] New student joins the list. (tetlh muv ghojwI' chu')

'etyen jang Qov:
>} pongwIj 'oH 'etyen'e' 'ej
>
>In more direct order: {'etyen 'oH pongwIj'e'}.  "My name is Etienne," as
>opposed to "Etienne is my name."  Same Object Verb Subject applies even for
>the copula verb to be.

My preferred order for this is the way she had it: "Etienne is my name."
I tend to think of the "to be" usage of pronouns as a bit less far-reaching
than a simple equivalence, along the lines of "a square is a rectangle."
"Etienne" is the specific thing that falls in the category of her name.
I myself have many names; {pongwIj 'oH ghunchu'wI''e'} gets across what I
want to say.  If I said {ghunchu'wI' 'oH pongwIj'e'}, I feel that I would
be implying that I have but one name.

It's probably just personal preference; most people accept it either way.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level