tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 09 09:23:24 1997

Re: [KLBC] New student joins the list. (tetlh muv ghojwI' chu')

-----Original Message-----
From: Alan Anderson <[email protected]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email protected]>
Date: Tuesday, 09 December , 1997 06:49
Subject: Re: [KLBC] New student joins the list. (tetlh muv ghojwI' chu')

>'etyen jang Qov:
>>} pongwIj 'oH 'etyen'e' 'ej
>>
>>In more direct order: {'etyen 'oH pongwIj'e'}.  "My name is Etienne," as
>>opposed to "Etienne is my name."  Same Object Verb Subject applies even
for
>>the copula verb to be.
>
>My preferred order for this is the way she had it: "Etienne is my name."

I think I ommitted to say this in my initial post but I am a *he* not a
*she*! :-)
Many people who only know me by name make this mistake because my name is, I
admit,  not very common. But I'm led to believe that it is quite comon in
France (although I've never been there) and it is an exclusively male name.
I think the female form is "Ritienne" or something of the sort.

PS. Apparently the idea of giving me a French name when me or my family are
not even
remotely connected to France was my grandmother's. Go
figure.

>I tend to think of the "to be" usage of pronouns as a bit less far-reaching
>than a simple equivalence, along the lines of "a square is a rectangle."
>"Etienne" is the specific thing that falls in the category of her name.
>I myself have many names; {pongwIj 'oH ghunchu'wI''e'} gets across what I
>want to say.  If I said {ghunchu'wI' 'oH pongwIj'e'}, I feel that I would
>be implying that I have but one name.
>
>It's probably just personal preference; most people accept it either way.
>
>-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level