tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 09 04:59:13 1997

Re: KLBC: vIghojqa'

On Sun, 12 Oct 1997, Qov wrote:

> At 15:12 97-10-11 -0700, 'olIva wrote:
>
> }vIQapba'.
> }I won, of course.
>
> {jIQapba'}.  vay' DaQaplaHbe', bIQap neH.  No object.

Did you mean that <Qap> can't take an object, ever, or just that I
shouldn't have given it one there? (I know that my English translation
doesn't have an object, but I was really trying to say "I won *them* [i.e.
the battles]".) I interpreted this as saying that <Qap> was intransitive,
but I found this on the wordlist in the KLI website:

| Qap
|
| win (a competition) (v.t.) {from Okrand's notes, HolQeD Vol. 2, No. 4}
| ["'To win' a competition is Qap. (If it's a decisive or particularly
| gratifying victory, they'd say Qapchu', even though that's a bit
| redundant.) In TKD, Qap is translated as 'succeed, work, function. To a
| Klingon, to win is to function perfectly.] {TKW page 211}

vay' QaplaH'a' vay'?
Can someone win something?

may' QaplaH'a' vay'?
Can someone win a battle?

Also, is <wo'rIv> considered to be canon? It was in the wordlist, but Marc
Okrand seemed to be deliberately avoiding giving Worf's Klingon name in
KGT, referring to him as <mogh puqloD>, as if he wasn't happy with
<wo'rIv>.

'olIva'

| Oliver PEREIRA  | [email protected]    ***VIVU ESPERANTO!***  |
| Selwyn College, | See the Cambridge Esperanto Group's web page at  |
| Cambridge       | http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/etg10/keg/         |
| CB3 9DQ         | It's really good! (Because I didn't write it.)   |