tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 08 21:01:46 1997

Re: Suggestion for Lurkers

>	If you are someone who is interested in learning the Klingon language
>and being exposed to the real-life usage of the language by those who
>speak it and are learning it, you can read all the current postings, as
>well as past postings, in the KLI Email List Archive, accessable at the
>website, http://www.kli.org/tlhIngan-Hol/  (with the most recent and
>up-to-date postings accessible at,
>http://www.kli.org/tlhIngan-Hol/current/ ).

Nice idea, as it discourages those who really don't want the list, but for
those who read it regularly, just find nothing to write about (lack of
time, work, etc to think up a new post)...  or there are a few of us who
find some great help in someone else's post that makes it worthwhile to
archive it (something that's difficult to do on the web)...  Which was also
why I don't use digests.

>	Undoubtedly, the most preferrable course of action would be to
>participate regularly, sending the random and odd questions or comments
>that come up when you see the language being used.

Unfortunately, that doesn't include "intelligent"... but that's another matter.

While every list has its lurkers (I lurked until I sent off my first post
to the list, and I do from time to time, depends on my mood), I do feel
bored if I have to sort through 100+ emails just from this list (with
filtering on), daily...

>	If you are a lurker currently subscribing to this list, I challenge
>you
>to compose one original or semi-orginal phrase or sentence and send it
>to the list. If you are unsure about composing new sentences, choose
>your favorite Klingon proverb or idiom and post it.

Here'smy sentence...  tlhIngan yaS 'ejyo' je jIH.

Correct at will...

>If you are still at a loss, compose a question or comment which states
>our confusion.  In short, I challenge you to participate actively,
>rather than passively.

Maybe the difficulty is trying to come up with a sentence (I took part in
an exchange of sentences, and coming up with them took more than its fair
share of time (usuall ~10 minutes to come up with one, ~5 to translate)...

>	Understanding of the language will only come through use,
>unfortunately
>beginning with misuse which later leads to learning, *if* you continue
>to study the canon and the contributions of the KLI Email List Veterans
>and Elders.

Of which some of us are afraid of, unfortunately...  trying to go up the
long ladder of understanding and speaking, yet aware that our stupid
(honest)

--
Worf, Son of Mogh (Worf Rozhenko)

[email protected]

IRC: EFNet: Worf/wo`rIv
  StarLink: Worf
    SL-IRC: Worf
(Mask to look for: *!*@*.direct.ca)

URLs: http://worf.home.ml.org or http://www.home.ml.org/worf

Email/reply to [email protected] with "**PGP KEY**" in the subject to get my
public key.

Back to archive top level