tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 07 14:58:02 1997

Suggestion for Lurkers

HovpoH 97935.0

	I have a suggestion for the so-called "lurkers" on this list.
If you are a lurker, consider this as a viable option which may serve to
benefit all involved.

	If you are someone who is interested in learning the Klingon language
and being exposed to the real-life usage of the language by those who
speak it and are learning it, you can read all the current postings, as
well as past postings, in the KLI Email List Archive, accessable at the
website, http://www.kli.org/tlhIngan-Hol/  (with the most recent and
up-to-date postings accessible at,
http://www.kli.org/tlhIngan-Hol/current/ ).
	If you want to read the postings without "participating" (by asking
questions and making comments via sending email) you can use the website
archive to read the postings instead of subscribing to the list.
	If you want to send occasional or infrequent questions and/or comments,
then you can send email to the list just as you would send email to a
friend, and even though you would not be subscribing to the list you
would see the email you send to the list appear on the website in the
Current directory.
	I am offering this suggestion only to present an alternative to
"lurking".
	If you want to be an active participant to learn and use the Klingon
language, tlhIngan Hol, then *please* send email to the list asking
questions about topics you don't understand or commenting on various
aspects of the language.
	If you are not going to send email to the list because you just want to
read the postings, then consider unsubscribing from the list (lightening
the load on the listserver) and keep up with the list by accessing the
online archive on the website.
	Or, just keep on lurking like a cloaked romuluSngan Ha'DIbaH.

	HIvmeH Duj So'lu'

	Undoubtedly, the most preferrable course of action would be to
participate regularly, sending the random and odd questions or comments
that come up when you see the language being used.

	If you are a lurker currently subscribing to this list, I challenge you
to compose one original or semi-orginal phrase or sentence and send it
to the list. If you are unsure about composing new sentences, choose
your favorite Klingon proverb or idiom and post it.
If you are still at a loss, compose a question or comment which states
our confusion.  In short, I challenge you to participate actively,
rather than passively.

	pevang!

	Understanding of the language will only come through use, unfortunately
beginning with misuse which later leads to learning, *if* you continue
to study the canon and the contributions of the KLI Email List Veterans
and Elders.

tlhIngan Duy'a',
*Dawut*

qo'mey poSmoH Hol.