tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 06 09:14:56 1997

Re: A *with* suffix?

ja' Qob:
>I recall that Larry Niven used "spinward", "antispinward", "port" and
>"starboard" for cardinal directions on the Ringworld...

Niven has a knack for coming up with bits of really interesting detail but
not quite carrying them through.  These terms were "invented" on the fly by
the group so they would have a way to refer to things among themselves, but
coincidentally it appears that the "natives" used the same terminology.

Until we know what the "native" tlhIngan Hol vocabulary has in the way of
absolute directional terms, anything we decide to use will just be a local
convention.  If we're going to make use of the four-point cardinal system,
we might as well make use of the already-existing terms North, South, East,
and West.

Back to archive top level