tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 06 11:40:43 1997

KLBC: Type-9 Suffix Examples

At 03:46 97-11-28 +0100, someone wrote in private e-mail:
}
}Hiya Qovlady,
}
}I wonder if you happen to have some klingon documents in stock
}which you once wrote and are pretty error-free and show good
}usage of ifs, buts, whens, whiles, thats, whichs, and whatsoever :)

I know what you're talking about, but I just moved computers and my
mailboxes are corrupt again, so I'll write one quickly.

Type-9 Suffixes seem to give beginners the most trouble because they modify
not the meaning of the verb, but the whole function it plays in the
sentence.  The examples in TKD give phrases, not complete sentences, and
I've noticed this confuses people.  First, read TKD section 4.2.9 and each
of the sections in chapter 6 that it refers to.  Also read section 4.2.9 in
the addendum.

tach vI'el.  - I went into the bar.
verengan vIlegh. - I saw a Ferengi.
tach vI'elDI' verengan vIlegh.  - When I entered the bar, I saw a Ferengi.
tach Da'elchugh verengan Dalegh SoH. - If you go into the bar YOU will see
the Ferengi.
verengan yIleghrup. - Be prepared to see a Ferengi.
tach Da'elpa' verengan yIleghrup. - Before you go into the bar, be prepared
to see a Ferengi.
tach vI'eltaHvIS verengan vIleghrupbe' jIH - While I was going into the bar
*I* wasn't ready to see a Ferengi.
muyay'moH verengan - The Ferengi astonished me.
muyay'moH verengan vIleghbogh - The Ferengi that I saw astonished me.
verengan lajqang tach - The bar is willing to accept Ferengi.
verengan lajqang tach vI'elbogh - The bar which I entered is willing to
accept Ferengi.
verengan'e' lajqangbogh tach vIlegh - I saw the Ferengi that the bar is
willing to accept.
verengan lajqangbogh tach'e' vI'el - I entered the bar that is willing to
accept Ferengi.
HIq vIje' - I buy liquor.
HIq vIje'meH tach vI'el - I go into the bar in order to buy liquor.
verengan vIleghmeH tach vI'elbe' - I don't go into the bar in order to see
Ferengi.
verengan Dalegh'a' - Did you see the Ferengi?
tachDaq tlhutlh tlhInganpu' - Klingons drink in the bar.
verengan lulegh tlhutlhwI'pu' - The drinkers see the Ferengi.
verengan lajmo' tach vI'elQo' - I won't go in the bar because it accepts
Ferengi.
lajqangchu'ghachchaj vIpar - I dislike their utter acceptance.
(Note that {-ghach} should be used only on a verb that has other suffixes,
and that you should consider casting the sentence with an active verb, not a
{-ghach}-ed one.  For example, here I could say {lajqangchu' chaH 'e' vIpar}
"I don't like that they are completely willing to accept [them]."

Hope this helps.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level