tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 22 04:37:16 1997

Re: yu-bIm-'egh

On 21 Aug 97 at 22:10, Alan Anderson wrote:

> Jarno Peschier writes:
> >...How about the Klingon Anthem? Would this still be Klingon music?
> >Could it be Klingon music? Or do we have a problem there? As far as
> >I can see it's not at all pentatonic.
>
> It's *very* pentatonic!

Well, that's my musical knowledge for you. ;-)

I'm no musical genius (especially on the theoretical side of
things), which is only to be expected after only a couple of years of
keyboard lessons. I still play of course (and like it, very much),
but most of the real theoretical things are over my head. Just a lack
of knowledge, really. (But I *do* know pentatonic scales. I really
should have looked at the Anthem better before asking this....)

> With less than a half dozen exceptions,
> each of the notes fits a pentatonic scale quite well.  Each of those
> exceptions can be eliminated quite easily by choosing a different
> note that matches the harmonic requirements of the piece.

So that would not be a big problem to the theoretic musing about
Klingon music here on the list? Good. Of course, Paramount will do
what they want if they ever compose any new "Klingon music" and they
will probably will just make it "non-alien".

> >So would it be some piece of
> >music composed by a non-Klingon and then (later?) have the Klingon
> >lyrics added to it?
>
> The non-Klingon lyrics presented on the Simon&Schuster web site are
> too polished to be anything but the original, in my opinion.  I'd
> rather be impressed with Marc Okrand's ability to fit a Klingon
> translation of the words to the existing music. :-)

Yeah, right. In any case, I'm getting more and more impressed with
his ability to creating something (almost) out of thin air that is at
this point almost indistinguishable from any "real language" (and
with is ability to slip puns and language jokes into the process, of
course! ;-}).

Qapla'
peSHIr

Jarno Peschier, computer science student, Utrecht University
   mailto:[email protected]    http://jarno.home.ml.org/
    'avwI' nejDI' narghta'bogh qama' reH 'avwI' Sambej

Back to archive top level