tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 21 21:57:25 1997

Re: yu-bIm-'egh

Jarno Peschier writes:
>...How about the Klingon Anthem? Would this still be Klingon music?
>Could it be Klingon music? Or do we have a problem there? As far as I
>can see it's not at all pentatonic.

It's *very* pentatonic!  With less than a half dozen exceptions, each of
the notes fits a pentatonic scale quite well.  Each of those exceptions
can be eliminated quite easily by choosing a different note that matches
the harmonic requirements of the piece.

>So would it be some piece of
>music composed by a non-Klingon and then (later?) have the Klingon
>lyrics added to it?

The non-Klingon lyrics presented on the Simon&Schuster web site are too
polished to be anything but the original, in my opinion.  I'd rather be
impressed with Marc Okrand's ability to fit a Klingon translation of the
words to the existing music. :-)

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level