tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 19 00:33:50 1997

Re: yu-bIm-'egh

On 18 Aug 97 at 14:24, William H. Martin wrote:

> Our instruments can play these notes, but unless you play
> atonal music, these are not the notes of a scale. I've written
> twelve-tone atonal music (the melody of my favorite composition had
> the tones C E D# D F C# F# A# A G# B G... C! The full title of the
> piece is "Atonal Fantasia in D minor" because it has two themes, one
> which is atonal and the other which is in Dm, intended to be played
> on a synthesizer with the "Fantasia" tone selected...

<Off topic on>
Sounds interesting. Any music or Midi file available of this?
>Off topic off>

> As a wild guess, I'd expect a Klingon nonatonic scale to be a
> diatonic scale based roughly on our chromatic scale with
> perhaps a different boundary than the octave and a different
> choice of tones than our major or minor key.
>
> I especially like the idea of it being pentatonic on an
> octave-and-a-fifth range because this breadth roughly matches
> an average singing range, and the consonant nature of the
> pentatonic scale would explain Klingon distaste for Fed music
> and the Fed tendency to often get a little bored with Klingon
> Opera. Long pieces without our favorite dissonant cadences
> would tax Federation concentration. To the Klingon ear, it
> would be far purer than our 7ths and tritones...

Very interesting indeed. But then the next What-if? question might
be: How about the Klingon Anthem? Would this still be Klingon music?
Could it be Klingon music? Or do we have a problem there? As far as I
can see it's not at all pentatonic. So would it be some piece of
music composed by a non-Klingon and then (later?) have the Klingon
lyrics added to it?

Jarno Peschier, computer science student, Utrecht University
   mailto:[email protected]    http://jarno.home.ml.org/
    'avwI' nejDI' narghta'bogh qama' reH 'avwI' Sambej

Back to archive top level