tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 10 06:49:42 1997

Re: KLBC story: bemorngan tIqIH

[email protected] on behalf of Alan Anderson wrote:

> >> loS vatlh ben Hovvam bavbogh yuQ tu' tlhIngan Hoq.
> >
> >{loSvatlh} "four hundred" is one word.
>
> But in {qaStaHvIS wa' ram loS SaD Hugh SIjlaH qetbogh loD}, {loS SaD}
> is two words.  We see it this way in the appendix of TKD, and  in TKW
> (with a typographically extraneous {I} on {loD}).

This is true, and I was thinking of it when I wrote this response, but being a
very non-literal proverb "which addresses not only accomplishing what one sets
out to do, despite the obstacles, but also the virtue of simply taking
action," I'm tempted to think that it's an exception.  We know it's probably
not a typo, since we see it twice like this (though I'm sure that it was
simply copied directly out of TKD).  It might be along the lines of {pung ghap
HoS}, which I justify as being funny grammar because it's a proverb.

When it comes down to it, of course, pronouncing {loS SaD} or {loSSaD} doesn't
really matter, does it?

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian