tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 10 06:49:30 1997

Re: KLBC story: bemorngan tIqIH

[email protected] on behalf of Alan Anderson wrote:

> Star Trek V: {HIv He yIchoHmoH} "Alter the attack course!"
>
> I'm not all that sure about the syllables before {choH}, but there
> is *definitely* a {-moH} after it.  [SuStel is convinced that this
> line uses {HIv} as a noun, or at least as part of a compound {HIvHe}.]

Especially since there's another line in which Vixis says

chorghSaD qelI'qam HIvchuq'e' vInoH
Estimating attack range in 8,000 kellicams.

where {HIv chuq} may also be two words.

In both cases, the sentences *only* make sense if {HIv} is a noun.  If it is a
noun, they are perfectly obvious.  If there were only one example of {HIv}
like this I'd be wary, but there are two.  I'm more certain that {HIv} is a
noun than I am that {HochHom} can follow a noun and mean "almost all of
<noun>."

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian