tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 10 06:49:11 1997

Re: KLBC : God Defend New Zealand

[email protected] on behalf of Norman Thomas wrote:

> > > HaghwI' yImojegh SuStel
> >
> > Looks like "Become yourself a laugher, SuStel."
> >
> > What did you mean?
> >
>   I wanted to say "the joke's on you, SuStel" but I think your
> translation of what I wrote is a little more Klingon.

What you wrote wasn't grammatical Klingon.  If you use {-'egh} (with a glottal
stop at the beginning, by the way), you won't have an object.  {-'egh}
essentially means that the subject is also the object.

In trying to translate this phrase, I keep returning to the word {tIch}.  It
seems much closer to the idea of the thing.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level