tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 06 10:41:57 1997

Re: New word from Okrand (vegh)

SuStel, as part of the endless discussion of vegh, wrote:
> Hmmm. I don't remember the concept of the passage being "enclosed"
> as part of the definition of "vegh." After all, a gate is not
> necessarily entierly enclosed. A gate through a fence usually does
> not have anything above it, if you catch my meaning. I realy got
> the impression that what was important was the fact the gate was
> intended for the purpose of allowing access through the fence.

I listened to what Marc said about the word at qep'a' and wrote down:

vegh (v) - go through (an existing aperture)

marqem, you saw me do it and corrected my English spelling, do you
remember if Marc saw it too? Had I known vegh was going to cause
such an explosion of nitpicking, I would have tried to have an
official definition expanded, sealed and certified.

A useful word, better than taH, not as useful as ghoS or tu', a new
tool for the toolbox.  It's not even a new hammer though, it's a more
special purpose object: a size 5 crochet hook or a 23 mm wrench
maybe. Now stop trying to hammer nails, snap fasteners and machine
bolts with it.

Yes you can write "ngem vIvegh" and "nentay vIvegh".  See?  I just
did it.  Is it normal usage?  No.  Marc specifically said "no" to
forest and a nentay is a ritual, not a physical opening. Does it
sound stupid or poetic? Don't know.  It probably comes out a bit like
"I go between a forest"  or "I pass the bat mitzvah" -- not quite the
appropriate word, but might be usable in some twisted context.

This reminds me of a reporter who tried to speak a little Klingon at
qep'a' and got bombarded with technicalities.  "What difference does
it make?" she said in confusion.  Someone explained.

"If you're not prepared for nitpicking, you're in the wrong place."

- Qov

Back to archive top level