tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 22 06:26:28 1997

RE: KLBC: Power Klingon

I think this qualifies as a KLBC question, so that's where I've put it.

[email protected] on behalf of fonseca wrote:
>  <Power Klingon> chatgharch vIghItlh jInIDtaH.
>  (I was trying to write the chatter of Power Klingon)

What is *{chatgharch} supposed to be?  If you're trying to use {-ghach},
remember, any self-respecting Klingon speaker wouldn't use {-ghach} without
another verb suffix first!

Hmmm . . . if you consider {ja'chuq} to be {ja'} plus {-chuq}, then I suppose
you can easily say {ja'chuqghach} for "conversation" . . .

Also, if you are "trying" to do this, remember two things: (1) two verbs
interacting like this calls for Sentence-As-Object (TKD 6.2.5).  {vIghItlh 'e'
vInID} "I try to write it," or "I try that I write it."  (2) When you've got a
SAO, you are not allowed to put a Type 7 verb suffix on the second verb of the
sentence.  Put it on the first instead: {vIghItlhlI' 'e' vInID}.  I used
{-lI'} instead of {-taH} because you have an obvious goal: to write down all
of the conversation in PK.

"Power Klingon" ja'chuqghach vIghItlhlI' 'e' vInID.

> 1. nuqneH
> 2. vISjaj qar 'a'

The bumbling Terran says {'IH jaj, qar'a'}.  "Beautiful day, isn't it?"  This
is a foolish way to begin a conversation with a Klingon.

> 3. baja'chuqjaj

{maja'chuqjaj}.  {ma-} is the verb prefix indicating "we" subject, no object.
This literally means "May it be that we talk."  This is probably the Terran
misusing the {-jaj} suffix; normally, you'd just say {DaH maja'chuq}, or just
start talking.

> 4. jISaHbe'
> 5. bISaHbe' qatlh vIjatlh

Personally, I hear {bISaHbe' qatlh bIjatlh}, even with the Terran's horrible
pronunciation of Klingon {a}.  Too bad this line is spoken by a tourist,
otherwise it would go a long way towards explaining verbs of saying to us.  As
it is, I wouldn't trust it, though it indicates that Okrand at least seems to
have some of the ideas about verbs of saying that I think he does.

> 6. chaq Sorvo' vay' vIjeH vIneH

chaq SoHvo' vay' vIje' vIneH.

> 7. tuH  bIjeghbe'chugh vaj bIHegh

tugh!  bIje'be'chugh vaj bIHegh.

> 8. quvwIj ta' tijpu' tera'ngan

quvwIj DatIchpu' tera'ngan.

> 9. bInta' e' ta' quqbe'

We're not really sure what this line is.  We asked Okrand at qep'a' wejDIch,
but he couldn't remember the line, and no one had the tape handy.

> 10. vIjoqchoH   Dochvetlh

I hear {yIjotchoH}.  Then, it becomes a little confused, {Dochvetlh ????}

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level