tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Apr 19 14:25:54 1997

Re: On Klingon Poetry, Opera & Song

Voragh wrote:
|> We actually do know more than a little about Klingon poetry, song and
|> opera. I've collected some bits and pieces from the episodes directly and
|> from MSN's ST: Continuum Klingon Database. For the sake of completeness,
|> I've also included a few notes from non-broadcast sources which--as
|> always--you're free to disregard. Let me know if I've missed something.
|
|HIvqa' *Voragh!* {{:-)

qatlho' 'ach HIvqa' veqlargh, actually. Here's one more bit on opera that I
hadn't yet keyboarded into my notes on the computer and forgot to include:

   Worf once argued with Jadzia over the abilities of a renowned Klingon
   singer. Worf felt that, "It is the power of his voice, the strength of
   his intonation that make Barak-Kadan a great singer. There are none like
   him." "None as boring anyway," Jadzia replied. "He never varies his
   performance, not even by a half-note." Worf retorted, "I prefer
   traditional opera performed in the traditional manner." (Looking for
   par'Mach in All the Wrong Places)

|Were the lines from the holosuite scene of "Looking For Par'Mach..."
|part of an opera or not?  I seem to remember them as being from one, but
|seeing as they weren't sung and you didn't note them in your list, I
|could be wrong.

Grilka and Dax both referred to the reenactment of Kahless and Lukara's
"Defense of Qam-Chee" as one of the most romantic scenes in Klingon
*literature*. As they were reciting their lines, not singing (Quark was
having enough trouble just saying them), this also implies the scene we saw
is from a famous play or novel, not an opera. (I wouldn't be surprised,
though, to discover that there have been several Klingon operas written
about Kahless and his mate.)

|majQa' 'ej Qapla'!

|-mIqIraH

Well, I hope that some people found it useful. As the Vulcans say, "The
honor is to serve."

-- Voragh

Back to archive top level