tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 16 18:37:10 1997

RE: KLBC: Need a word

On Monday, April 14, 1997 7:09 PM, [email protected] on behalf of
[email protected] wrote:
> I need a word and information on the following:  Klingon poetry,
specifically
> bardic poetry.  Do they have it?  How does it work?  What's the name for
such
> a poet?

Well, there's {lut} "story," and {QoQ} "music," and {bom} "song" or "sing."
On the TV show we've heard titles which apparently correspond to what you're
looking for, but we haven't gotten them in tlhIngan Hol yet.  Titles like
"Bassai master" or "d'har master" (no, I don't know how they're supposed to be
spelled, and I don't for a minute believe that "d'har master" is supposed to
mean "you-believe-it master."  But these guys are supposedly the ones you're
looking for.

Oh, yeah.  The act of composing a song is, in Klingon, represented by the verb
{qon} "record."  To Klingons, it seems, songs are not invented.  They're
already out there, and it's the song-writer's task to copy them down.  He'd be
a {qonwI'}.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian