tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 14 01:15:15 1997

Re: KLBC

Marian Schwartz wrote:
> Message text written by Christian Weisgerber
> >Klingon is an agglutinating language, not an inflecting one. It doesn't
> have cases. <
>
> No offense, but I don't think you're using the word "agglutinating" right here.

No, he wasn't (overt case marking has nothing to do with agglutination
or
inflexion: Basque, Eskimo, Hungarian, Korean, Quechua, Turkish are all
agglutinative languages with case systems), but you aren't either.

> "Agglutinative" is, as in Chinese, piling up the words so it can be understood.

This is not true.  Agglutination means piling up morphemes, not words.
Chinese is an isolating language with some agglutinative traits.

--'Iwvan

Back to archive top level