tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 14 01:08:46 1997

Re: pronunciation of tlh-H

Marian Schwartz wrote:
> ghItlh SuStel:
> >Okrand said that the sound was like nothing in
> *English*, but resembled a sound in *Aztec*.<
>
> What I'm talking about is: It says that <tlh> *resembles* a sound in Aztec,
> but it's actually that it *is* a sound in Aztec, not *resembles* it!

See HG Gleason, _An Introduction to Descriptive Linguistics_, for an
excellent
argument against saying that a sound in one language is the same as a
sound
in another.

Meanwhile, are you sure (or is your informant sure) that _tl_ is
regularly
aspirated in Nahuatl (which is what Aztec is properly called these
days)?
If it is not, then this will be a way in which it differs from the
aspirated
{tlh} in Klingon.

Btw, _-tl_ is a suffix that every noun in Nahuatl gets by default (that
is,
unless it is marked as plural, possessed, honorific or some other
things),
so _te-tl_ `egg' is the rule, not the exception.

--'Iwvan

Back to archive top level