tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Apr 12 09:11:10 1997

pronunciation of tlh-H

	qoror here.  I just got "Power Klingon" and have been going over it.  The
main thing I noticed was that the way it's pronounced.  It seems a lot fruitier
than the way I speak it, which seems flat in comparison.  A sidebar is that the
"tlh" there sounds like just a "tl."   Mine is a lot meatier, with them really
running together and my cheeks puffing out.  (I also don't have a microphone for
my computer, although I'm considering one, so I can't go on the Talker just
yet.)  Can someone tell me if tlhIngan Hol sounds the way it does in PK with
you?
	By the way, a tidbit about pronunciation I found that might interest you.
I quote from TKD 1.2: "tlh- This sound is like nothing in English, but it is
rather like the last sound in "tetl," the Aztec word for "egg," if properly
pronounced."  (I think that's what it says, at least.)  I discovered from
another person involved in languages that that's a misnomer.  Aztec actually
*has* that sound!

	Oh, by the way, DaQtIq, sorry.  I remember now that you said to send it
directly to you, but I must have forgotten it when I sent it last night.  I
noticed your half-pun, too.  "chal ngoH DaQ tIq--" Ha, ha.  :-D

Back to archive top level