tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Apr 12 18:38:26 1997

RE: question without question word or suffix

jatlh qoror:

> 	qoror here.  SuStelvaD:  Do you remember our discussion over my sentence
> "maHmo' He'qu' qach?" a while back and whether one could tell it was a
question?
> (By the way, you were right about <He'So'>-- I didn't see it.)  I just
re-heard
> PK and noticed a sentence that works *exactly* the same way:
> 	pu'HIchwIj Daleghpu'?
> 	Have you seen my phaser pistol?
>
> 	No suffix or question word, but the meaning comes through fine.  What do
> you think?

I think it's an error.  I already knew about this sentence, and it is not
inflected like a question.  Not that I hear many native-spoken questions, but
Okrand usually sounds pretty clear about that.

Besides, if you *could* do this with yes/no questions, what would be the point
of {-'a'}?  It would become absolutely useless.  Since it *is* used, I
conclude that this is an error.

If you want to use this sentence as evidence that you can say yes/no questions
without {-'a'}, I guess I can't stop you.  Unless I get such information from
Okrand explicitly, I'm not going to tell anyone that it's all right.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level