tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Apr 12 19:43:06 1997

Re: pronunciation of tlh-H

Marian Schwartz wrote:

>         qoror here.  I just got "Power Klingon" and have been going over it.  The
> main thing I noticed was that the way it's pronounced.  It seems a lot fruitier
> than the way I speak it, which seems flat in comparison.  A sidebar is that the
> "tlh" there sounds like just a "tl."   Mine is a lot meatier, with them really
> running together and my cheeks puffing out.  (I also don't have a microphone for
> my computer, although I'm considering one, so I can't go on the Talker just
> yet.)  Can someone tell me if tlhIngan Hol sounds the way it does in PK with
> you?

This is really hard to say.  I have no other Klingon speakers locally
either, so I have to go by what I hear myself say.  I can offer a bit of
anecdote, though.

I can pronounce the sounds of {tlhIngan Hol} well individually,
according to Marc Okrand.  Even simple words are not too much of a
problem.  I have trouble when I start running them together into
sentences.  This is just lack of practise, I realize.

>         By the way, a tidbit about pronunciation I found that might interest you.
> I quote from TKD 1.2: "tlh- This sound is like nothing in English, but it is
> rather like the last sound in "tetl," the Aztec word for "egg," if properly
> pronounced."  (I think that's what it says, at least.)  I discovered from
> another person involved in languages that that's a misnomer.  Aztec actually
> *has* that sound!

Well, it's close enough to what Marc says the Klingon sound is,
apparently.  The Aztec word seems to be Okrand's favorite example of the
sound occuring in a real language, as he used that at his seminar at
BabelCon.

When I was trying to learn this sound, I kept thinking about how
"Klingon" became {tlhIngan}.  Michael Dorn tends to sort of "spit" out
"Klingon"; his "kl" is rather juicy, for lack of a "proper" term.  I
tried doing the same thing with "tl".  It's not 100% right, but it got
me a lot closer.

--
Qob la' (tlh.w.D. quttaj ra'wI')
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD qhojwI'