tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 10 14:35:06 1997

RE: KLBC: how to say "for" question

jatlh Banzai:

> I've taken the advice I read a while back in the list and started a journal
> that I keep in tlIngan Hol.  However, I'm having a problem making an entry.
>  I was trying to say "Today, I searched for flowers" (I'm a botanist), but
> I wasn't sure how to say "for flowers".  (Yes, I know there is now word for
> "flower" in tlhIngan Hol; at least, none that I know of).  My sentence came
> out something like this:
>
> *flower*meyvaD vInej
>
> but this feels like I'm saying that I'm searching on behalf of the flowers,
> which is weird even for me.  Is this the correct useage of "-vaD"?  I could
> use some advice for how to properly phrase this.

Well, {nej} is glossed as "look for, seek, search for," so the "for" part is
built into the verb!  The object of the verb {nej} is that which is sought.

"flower"-mey vInej.
I sought flowers.

> Also, I can find nothing in TKD about being able to use "DaHjaj" (today) as
> an adverbial.  How do I convey the message of "Today I did so-and-so"?

You just stick it at the beginning.  There are gazillions of examples.

DaHjaj "flower"-mey vInej.
I searched for flowers today.

--
SuStel