tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 29 20:09:08 1996

Re: KLBC - complicated translation

At 08:42 PM 9/10/96 -0700, Chet Braun wrote:
>An old Chinese proverb:
>"I don't fear the 10,000 kicks you practiced once,
>I fear the one kick you practiced 10,000 times."
>
>I tried to recast into tlhIngan Hol (without referring to fear):
>wa'logh wa'netlh pupmeH mIw Daqeqpu'chugh vaj jIHagh
>wa'nethlhlogh wa' pupmeH mIw Daqeqpu'chugh vaj jIjegh
>
>My biggest problem was trying to come up with a noun form of
>the verb 'to kick', [pup], ie. a type of kick.
>The best I could get was a purpose clause;
>'procedure for the purpose of kicking'
>[pupmeH mIw]

I didn't have a problem understanding it, although I am sure that if someone
worked at it, they could come up with somehing better (I can't, without
getting even more convoluted).

>It seems a bit clumsy though and I'm not real sure about the
>rest of the construct.  There also seems to be a lot of repetition
>that I wonder if can be avoided.

Well, there is repetition in the Original English, too.

I looked this over *twice*, I want you to know.

Maybe it's getting late..

Maybe I just don't see anything...

But I prefer to beleive that I am not THAT tired yet, and that there is
NOTHING WRONG with those two sentences.

Very, VERY WELL DONE!!!

*cheers and applauds loudly!!!!*

>HetaQ

--tQ

---
HoD trI'Qal, tlhIngan wo' Duj lIy So' ra'wI'
Captain T'rkal, Commander IKV Hidden Comet (Klingon speaker and net junkie!)
HaghtaHbogh tlhIngan yIvoqQo'!  toH... qatlh HaghtaH Qanqor HoD???
monlI'bogh tlhInganbe' yIvoqQo'!  SoHvaD monlI' trI'Qal...

Back to archive top level