tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 10 20:39:02 1996

KLBC - complicated translation

An old Chinese proverb:
"I don't fear the 10,000 kicks you practiced once,
I fear the one kick you practiced 10,000 times."

I tried to recast into tlhIngan Hol (without referring to fear):
wa'logh wa'netlh pupmeH mIw Daqeqpu'chugh vaj jIHagh
wa'nethlhlogh wa' pupmeH mIw Daqeqpu'chugh vaj jIjegh

My biggest problem was trying to come up with a noun form of
the verb 'to kick', [pup], ie. a type of kick.
The best I could get was a purpose clause;
'procedure for the purpose of kicking'
[pupmeH mIw]

It seems a bit clumsy though and I'm not real sure about the
rest of the construct.  There also seems to be a lot of repetition
that I wonder if can be avoided.

HetaQ

Back to archive top level