tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 24 05:52:24 1996

Anyone: HELP!

 uu> From: Kreth <ur-valhalla!tri-town.net!veltenjs>
 uu> Subject: Anyone: HELP!
 uu> Message-ID: <[email protected]>
 uu> Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 20:54:30 -0700

 uu> I, as the senior Klingon officer in my sim group, have been tasked
 uu> with developing a handbook for a new Klingon Division. I would like
 uu> some help on translating a few things... First of all, I have come up

Then you've definitely come to the right place!

 uu> with Fek'lhr's Fang as a name for the division's flagship. I am unable
 uu> to find a word for "fang" in TKD. An alternate was Fek'lhr's Wrath, but

Best you can do is "tooth" {Ho'}, or perhaps {Ho''a'} - the augmentive suffix
{-'a'} makes it a qualitatively greater tooth, which might be translatable as
"fang".

As for "wrath"... you'd have to recast that one.

 uu> I was amazed to find no word for wrath in TKD... Surely the Klingons
 uu> would have a word for being pissed off... <g>  Also, I would like some
 uu> feedback on the following rank names, are these appropriate with
 uu> Klingon military structure?

 uu> Admiral   Sa'
 uu> Vice Admiral    'ech
 uu> Fleet Captain   yo'HoD
 uu> Captain   HoD
 uu> Commander   ra'wI'
 uu> Lt. Commander   Sogh
 uu> Lieutenant   lagh
 uu> Lt. Junior Grade  Da'
 uu> Ensign    Vaj

The canonical Naval ranks given are as follows:

'aj		Admiral
totlh	Commodore
HoD		Captain
la'		Commander  ({ra'wI'} we use for the POSITION of Commander)
Sogh		Lieutenant
lagh		Ensign

There are also several canonical Army/Marine ranks:

Sa'		General
'ech		Brigadier
bu'		Sergeant
Da'		Corporal

"Terran" ranks such as "Lieutenant Commander" and "Lieutenant Junior Grade" do
not have exact equivalents.  In the Klingon Assault Group, we are using
{la'Hom} for Lieutenant Commander, and {SoghHom} for Lieutenant Junior Grade.

 uu> Also, I would like some input on posts. I tend to think Klingon ships
 uu> would be much more utilitarian than Federation ships, and thus most
 uu> likely have fewer crew... I envisioned this for a basic sim crew:

 uu> Commander   la'

As I said, my personal belief is that {la'} is the RANK of Commander, while
{ra'wI'} (literally "one who commands") is the POSITION.  See my .sig; I am
Commander Qob {la' Qob} and I command my ship {tlhIngan wo' Duj quttaj
ra'wI'}.

 uu> First Officer   wa'DIch *

We use {yaS wa'DIch}.

 uu> Pilot    puvwI'

Try "helmsman" {DeghwI'}.

|         la' Qob sutai-qutvaj       tlhIngan wo' Duj quttaj ra'wI'     |
| Qojbogh tlhIngan ghom, maS Hurgh yo', *Northern* jogh, jogh boQDu''a' |
|                  === tlhIngan Hol yejHaD ghojwI' ===                  |
|               Fido: Bill Willmerdinger, 1:2613/477.1701               |
|         E-mail: [email protected]   [email protected]         |