tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 20 16:10:17 1996

RE: jIlIH'eghqa'

Kenneth Traft writes:
>Glen Prochel mentioned to me that ine the Skybox card S-15 Dr. Okrand used
><<wa'DIch tlhIngan Dujmey>>  for first Klingon vessels.  He believes this puts
>wa'DIch and other <<-DIch>> formed words in the adverb category.

How so?  "...first Klingon vessels..." has the word "first" modifying the
noun "vessels", so it's not being used as an adverb here.  The placement
of {wa'DIch} *before* the noun is at odds with the description given in
TKD, but its usage in an adverbial sense is not suggested at all.

I wonder if Okrand will explain the unusual placement as a singular exception
to the rules (maddeningly possible), a general occurrence with specific rules
for when it happens (my preference), or a simple editing error (not likely);
or if he will just ignore it (quite probable).

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level