tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 22 08:37:21 1996

Re: jIlIH'eghqa'

>Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 16:12:39 -0700
>From: [email protected] (Alan Anderson)

>Kenneth Traft writes:
>>Glen Prochel mentioned to me that ine the Skybox card S-15 Dr. Okrand used
>><<wa'DIch tlhIngan Dujmey>>  for first Klingon vessels.  He believes this puts
>>wa'DIch and other <<-DIch>> formed words in the adverb category.

>How so?  "...first Klingon vessels..." has the word "first" modifying the
>noun "vessels", so it's not being used as an adverb here.  The placement
>of {wa'DIch} *before* the noun is at odds with the description given in
>TKD, but its usage in an adverbial sense is not suggested at all.

I considered this, but the ordering is wrong.  "First Klingon vessels"
would, as you say, have to have the wa'DIch afterwards.

>I wonder if Okrand will explain the unusual placement as a singular exception
>to the rules (maddeningly possible), a general occurrence with specific rules
>for when it happens (my preference), or a simple editing error (not likely);
>or if he will just ignore it (quite probable).

To me, at least, it seems as likely that this is an indication of ordinals
as adverbs.

>-- ghunchu'wI'

~mark

Back to archive top level