tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 20 12:56:26 1996

Re: What prefix to use for "I--us" etc.?

In message <[email protected]> [email protected]
 writes:
> I don't think one can use -'egh to render a combination "I--us" etc.
>
> It is interesting however how to express such situations, as e.g.
>
>       I shall kill us (all).
>
>       You (singular) will ruin all of you (plural).
> etc.
>
>       and theoretical: "We--me" "You-pl.--you-sing." (but I can't invent any
> sentence bearing sense)
>

> Which prefix(es) to use?
>
> The same question may be asked for the imperative prefix
>         "You-sing.--you-pl."
>
> Any ideas?

obviously, you have to split it into two sentences:

I will kill you (all) and myself
SaHoH 'ej jIHoH'egh

(maybe jIHoH'eghtaHvIS SaHoH)

You will ruin them and yourself
(the Klingon version of ruin someone involves too much
grammar I'm not sure about, I was going to say
pagh DaghajmoH, but I don't quite remember whether this
complies to how double object verbs might behave according
to some recent postings)

I don't think you(pl.) -- you(sg.) makes any sense at all,
if you're adressing a group of people, the only way to
single out one of them seems to be referring to her in
3rd sg.

as for we--me, I could think of sth like We were celebrating me.
which should be rephraseable as We were celebrating my accomplishment.

HomDoq

Back to archive top level