tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 15 10:09:14 1996

nIDwIj wa'DIch

 > From: "Mark E. Shoulson" <ur-valhalla!cs.columbia.edu!shoulson>
 > Subject: nIDwIj wa'DIch

 >Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 05:12:34 -0700
 >From: [email protected] (Bill Willmerdinger)

 >>However, with Skybox card S26 {lurSa be'etor je}, we have a canon
 >>example of apposition: {... DuraS be'nI'pu' lurSa be'etor je},
 >>translated as "the sisters of Duras, Lursa and B'Etor".  I personally
 >>have no problem (now) with saying {*Qob* puqloDwI' vIpong}.

 > I don't think it's so simple.  The case of "I name my son Qob" is NOT
 > apposition.  Apposition implies that the two nouns are referring to

I just read D'Armand's "rant" on this.  {reH Heghrup SuvwI''a'.
HoH'eghlaw'pu' SuvwI''a'vam.}  I probably remembered the last discussion on
{pong} and got "apposition" and "double objects" reversed in my mind.

 >>We also have a canon use of the verb {pong} on S27 {Qo'noS}.  This
 >>card contains the sentence {roD 'oHvaD juHqo' ponglu' neH}.  While
 >>this sentence is combined with another in the English translation
 >>("What is a single sentence in ENglish is often two in Klingon") the
 >>translation is fairly evident: "(Qo'noS) is usually refered to
 >>as simply "The Homeworld".  To me, {juHqo' ponglu'} quite clearly says
 >>"someone calls it 'the Homeworld'".  (I do admit to uncertainty
 >>about what {'oHvaD} is doing in there; it certainly seem redundant,

 > Ah, no.  The 'oHvaD *is* important; it answers the question: the thing
 > named is flagged with -vaD and the name is the object of the verb
 > "pong". Removing the confusing -lu', we get "puqloDwI'vaD *Qob*
 > vIpong."  See?  The person (or planet) get -vaD, and the name (or
 > description) is the object.

So a general formula for using {pong} this way would be:

*thing to be named*vaD *name* vIpong
or
*thing to be named*vaD *name* ponglu'

And, in our example, {... 'oHvaD ...} refers to something already explicity
named in the previous sentence.  But, the example has the *name* {Qo'noS}
represented by {'oHvaD} and the description {juHqo'} in the name slot.  This
is where I'm getting confused.  Are {Qo'noS} and {juHqo'} equivalent, and if
so, does it matter which is in which spot in the sentence?  If placement
doesn't matter, why the {-vaD}?  If {Qo'noS} and {juHqo'} *aren't* equivalent,
then I can see the necessity of {-vaD} but I would think the placement of the
name and the thing-to-be-named would be fixed.

Does that make any sense at all?

|         la' Qob sutai-qutvaj       tlhIngan wo' Duj quttaj ra'wI'     |
| Qojbogh tlhIngan ghom, maS Hurgh yo', *Northern* jogh, jogh boQDu''a' |
|                  === tlhIngan Hol yejHaD ghojwI' ===                  |
|               Fido: Bill Willmerdinger, 1:2613/477.1701               |
|         E-mail: [email protected]   [email protected]         |