tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 15 11:14:09 1996

Re: Having heard through Power Klingon...

>Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 16:51:30 -0400 (EDT)
>From: "Mark E. Shoulson" <[email protected]>

>>Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 11:14:05 -0700
>>From: Nick Nicholas <[email protected]>

>>The canon for this is "mu'qaD veS taghlu'bej". I don't now remember if tagh
>>was used transitively in PK, now; but it's definitely so used in TKW.
>Actually, the PK cannon is "taghbej mu'qaD veS"; *in*transitive usage.  I
>am not sure if transitive usage is attested, but I think it may be.

OK, I never post with brain engaged... There's transitive in the dictionary
("begin a process, initiate" --- sounds transitive to me), and TKW p. 187: Qu'
DataghDI' 'aqtu' mellota' je tIqaw. (Actually, now I'm starting to worry about
ghor as well; it's transitive in TKW...)

>I can live with it going both ways, so long as it's the exception and not
>the rule. [...]  It
>doesn't really make sense for Klingon to do what English does regularly,
>not with -moH and all those examples.  English may not be the only language
>that does it, but it is a distinctively English feature, and Okrand likes
>to avoid those.

One lives in hope. On the other hand, Okrand will take any excuse to complicate
up the grammar, and you can bet that once this is pointed out to him, he'll be
randomising verb valency left right and centre! :-|

--
ki egeire arga ta sthqia ta qlimmena;    Nick Nicholas. Ling., Univ. Melbourne.
   san ahdoni pou se nuxtia anoijiata     [email protected]

Back to archive top level