tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 09 17:37:32 1996

Dorn on tlhIngan-Hol

This piece of information was found in the Calendar section of the Los
Angeles Times (9809.08):

+++++
LANGUAGE BARRIER II:

Michael Dorn, who plays the Klingon Worf on the "Next Generation" series
and films, bought a "Star Trek" English to Klingon translation dictionary
to figure out what was going on. "I got an idea what they were about, but
that was about it," he says. "After the first year, I threw the book out
and said 'Whatever they put in front of me, that's what I'll say.' On 'Next
Generation,' we had a rule --- whoever says a Klingon word first, that's
how you pronounce it the whole series."

How much Klingon does Dorn know? "Hardly any. I don't know people versed in
it. [Fans] used to have a Klingon Language Camp. Where they spoke Klingon,
played baseball in Klingon, and did the whole thing in Klingon. Of course,
I steered clear of the entire state they held it in."
+++++

Personally, I do not think Dorn is slighting students of Hol. He is an
actor getting paid to play a part. As to the "steering clear" statement,
all of us must admit that we tend to be very protective of our beloved Hol.
And you know how scary protective Klingons can be...

Before anyone attacks the lack of Hol in this post, It shows us the
position of one of the key Klingon players in ST, and how pronunciation is
played on the series. That, IMHO, makes the post postable. <<Sorry about
the size, though>>

<< now cloaking to avoid the wrath of the hard core >>

Qapla'

HoS'etlh Kasara, Staff Officer - AKA Ben Warren
Klingon Imperial Diplomatic Corps - http://www.klingon.org
h: [email protected] w: [email protected]
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Support STAR TREK: KLINGON The TV Series
http://home.earthlink.net/~splatgraphic/iktv/iktv.htm
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Splat Graphics -Web Site Design Group [email protected]