tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 03 06:49:55 1996

Re: tlhIngan Hol chu' ghojwI'. jIH ghaj pung.

ghItlh Mitchel Ross:

[...]
> I had a hard time
> with "computer user".  A computer is that which uses data, and a
> user is that which uses a computer.  I really wanted to use
> "De'wI'wI'", which is jibberish.  Comments?

I'm not a 'professional', in fact far from it, so I'll probably get
castrated for commenting here, but here it goes:

I don't think you can construe *De'wI'* to be a word meaning "thing which
uses data", as so far as we know, *De'* is only a noun and the *wI'* suffix
meaning "thing which does" is only used on verbs. I think that the word
for "computer" is the only example of this construct, so it can't really be
generalised.

For a "computer user", you could have a "user of computers", so perhaps
{De'wI' lo'wI'} would be a more appropriate construct for your purpose.

Qapla'
voqHa'wI' (pIj tlhIngan Hol pongwIj vIlo'be'}
  / Daniel Peter Noll                     / [email protected]   /
 / Truth Seeker                          / http://mailhost.net/~fprefect /
/ batlhHa' vanglu'taHvIS quv chavbe'lu' / Finger for Geek Code          /

Back to archive top level