tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 03 11:29:11 1996

Re: tlhIngan Hol chu' ghojwI'. jIH ghaj pung.

     Well, this one wasn't flagged KLBC, and nobody has responded yet, so I'll
it a go.
> I decided to restore the comic to Klingon.
     Not really a good way to start.  Translation from english invariably
requires extensive recasting, which requires practice.  IMHO, you ought to try
an original work in Hol first.

> M: What's your problem?
> M: nuq qay'lIj?
     <qay'lIj> is gibberish. You have a noun suffix on a verb. Perhaps <nuq
qay'wI'lIj> or even simpler, <Duqay' nuq>, "What troubles you?"  Recasting,
see?

> C: I'm a cat and you're a mouse.  We're mortal enemies.
> C: "Cat" jIH.  "Mouse" SoH.  majaghqu'.
     First two sentences are good, for future reference, the usual way to flag
an English word in a Klingon sentence is with *. i.e. <*cat* jIH>.  The last is
more gibberish, you have a verb prefix, then a noun, then a noun suffix.  This
sentence is going to need recasting.  Perhaps, <jaghlI jIH 'ej jaghwI SoH>.

> M: I beg your pardon? I am a technically adept and binary fluent computer
>    expert.
> M: QI'yah.  jIpo' chamwI'.
     Why is the mouse swearing at the cat?  He isn't mad, just confused.  How
about <nuqjatlh> instead?  And watch your capitalization.  The second sentence
is pretty wierd.  Unless you're trying for apposition, that <chamwI'> is just
kinda floating free with nothing to do.  You are apparently thinking in
English.  Don't.  Try, <po'bogh chamwI' jIH>.  For the rest of the sentence,
how about making it <pogh De'wI' Hol po'chu'bogh chamwI' jIH>?

> M: You are merely a computer user, dependent on guys like me to
>    perform even the simplest of functions.
> M: bIQIp De'pIn.  De'Pin puj SoH.  chowuvmeH QapHom.
     Your first sentence is the same as the last one in the previous line.  You
need something like, <QIpbogh De'pIn SoH>.  And <De'pIn>?  "Data boss"?  This
has already been addressed of course.  <De'wI' lo'wI' QIpwI' SoH>.  The last
sentence is a mix-up.  <QapHom> is a noun suffix on a verb.  <chowuvmeH> means
"in order that you depend on me".  Perhaps, <QapmeH chowuv>.  A better way
might be, <napbejwI' Data'meH chowuv>.

> C: Like I said, we're mortal enemies.
> C: HIja'.  majaghpu'.
     <HIja'> works here, but i would go for <'e' qaja'>.  As for <majaghpu'>,
see above.

> At first I wanted to do "cat" as "Qat" and mouse as "mo'S", but I
> hear that English may be a better choice here.
Good call.  That's a common newbie mistake that you managed to skip.  majQa'.

     A little raw, but you just need practice.  Welcome to the language, and
<bIDo'bejjaj>.

Qapla'
taDI'oS vIq, law'wI'pu'vaD Holtej jIH
|  Thaddaeus A. Vick, Linguist to the Masses   | mailto: [email protected]  -or-  |
|                                              |         [email protected]     |
|  gules, on a saltire argent voided azure,    |                              |
|  thirteen mullets of the second. Yeeha.      |  http://www.crl.com/~dvick   |