tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 02 11:40:13 1996

Re: KLBC: Meditation

At 01:36 PM 8/28/96 -0700, Mike Rowe wrote:
>Here is another section for my book.  I know this is not the easiest for the
>beginer.  But I figure the more I look at things the easier this is going to
>become.

As I recall, you didn't do so badly on the first one.. and you are correct:
the more you try, the better you will do!

>--------------------------------
>Qubgach'a'
>Deep Thought (Meditation)

The suffix is actually -ghach, not ?-gach?.  There is no "g" by itself in
Klingon; it will always either be "gh" or "ng".

While technically grammatically correct, be advised that using -ghach on a
bare verb is a "marked" form... you will be understood, but people will
kinda snicker up their sleeves at you.  I've read that English tends to be
noun-centered, so it is only natural that we would use a noun to head a
title; Klingon is verb-centered, so it might be more natural to have a verb
as the title.  I would  also use <buS>, which means "to conentrate", which
is probably closer to what you have in mind.  If you really want to
emphasize it, you could say <buSchu'> or <buSbej>... and then, it would not
be "marked" if you REALLY wanted to throw that -ghach on it.

>nIHchaj qIv navDaq vaj poSchaj qIv lan ghojwI'pu' wa'DIch tor QublI'meH
>ghojwI'pu' ra'DI' ghojmohwI'.
>
>When the instructor commands the students for the purpose of thinking to
kneel,
>the students first place their right knee on the ground then their left knee.

Um... it took me a few minutes to parse this properly, because you didn't
have any ,'s seperating subordinate clauses.  I see what you are doing, though.

Honestly, I would not leave this one sentence.

I would change this to "As soon as the instructor commands the students in
order that they kneel in order that they meditate, first, they place their
right knee on the ground (and)  Then they place their left knee."

What you have is not too far from this.  Unfortunately, in Klingon, you are
probably going to have to use the verb "to place" twice, where in English
you can get away without it the second time (that's why I suggested the two
sentences).  Also, "On the floor" has -Daq on it, and this has to be the
first thing in your sentence, move those things around a bit (and throwing
in some punctuation), we get:

        navDaq nIHchaj qIv lan ghojwI'pu' wa'DIch, tor QublI'meH
        ghojwI'pu' ra'DI' ghojmohwI'.  vaj poSchaj qIv lan.

I'm not sure you can use <wa'DIch> this way; it means "first" as in, "my
first weapon was a knife".  I don't think you can use it like an adverbial
like this.  I'd yank it out, and let the <vaj> in the second part clarify
tht this is a step-by-step process (if someone doesnt' tell me you can't use
<vaj> this way, too!)  Please also note that Klingon doesn't have
infinitives the way English does:  you can't just pop <tor> in there, and it
majically means "to kneel".  I've found that most of the time, you can
translate these infinative as "in order that <subject> <verb>", which is
another use of -meH.  Please also note that in this case, the "to kneel" has
to come after the "to meditate":  they are kneeling in order to meditate,
and he is commanding them in order that they kneel (in order that they meditate:

        navDaq nIHchaj qIv lan ghojwI'pu', QublI'meH tormeH
        ghojwI'pu' ra'DI' ghojmohwI'.  vaj poSchaj qIv lan.

Again, I would use soem for mof <buS>, instead of just <Qub> here.
Everything else in here looks pretty good, although I WOULD leave the
punctuation in.  I'm also not 100% sure that the <nIH/poS-chaj qIv>
constructions are accurate, but when I thought through the other options,
that made the most sense... it's probably just becaue "their right's knee"
sounds a bit odd to me... but it is grammatically correct.

>------------------------
>
>I know I may be making an error in the use of -gach.  I have seen many
postings
>on the abuse of the normalizer.  Other than that I hope I came close.  This
is >a
>very complex sentence and I need some help.  I know I have messed up the
syntax
>but I got lost in TKD.  After this sentence I think I will try a few easier
>ones.

Actaully, this was no where NEAR s bad as it could have been... give
yourself a pat onthe back for this one!  It was indeed a complicated
concept, but you got most of it across pretty clearly!  majQa'!

Where were you getting lost?  I am here to answer questions, too!

>Qapla'
>ghojmoHwI'a' batlhro'
>Qapla'
>ghojmoHwI'a' batlhro'

cha'logh Qapla' chavlu'chugh, vaj cha'logh tIv'egh'a'  {{:)

--tQ

---
HoD trI'Qal, tlhIngan wo' Duj lIy So' ra'wI'
Captain T'rkal, Commander IKV Hidden Comet
Klingon speaker and net junkie!
HaghtaHbogh tlhIngan yIvoqQo'!  toH... qatlh HaghtaH Qanqor HoD???
monlI'bogh tlhInganbe' yIvoqQo'!  SoHvaD monlI' trI'Qal...

Back to archive top level