tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 30 14:10:24 1996

RE: KLBC: TKD page 38

November 30, 1996 10:16 AM, jatlh Deborah:

> The second example of a verb using {moH} is a command.  Does the "something"

> within the parenthesis mean that I can use a direct object in that type of
> sentence.  If I do, aren't I using a double object construction?  May I use
> transitive and intransitive verbs?

"Subject" causes "object" to "verb" is the usual way to read verbs with
{-moH}.  This also works with commands.

nav yImeQmoH!
(You) Cause the paper to burn!

'avwI' yIpummoH!
Cause the guard to fall!

> A specific example of how I'd like to use this will be forthcoming if this
> works the way I think it does.

It would be useful.  I'm not sure of your problem.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level