tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 30 14:10:18 1996

RE: KLBC: TKD page 38

November 30, 1996 11:09 AM, jatlh Andrew 'Ska' Netherton:

> > The second example of a verb using {moH} is a command.  Does the
"something"
> > within the parenthesis mean that I can use a direct object in that type of

> > sentence.  If I do, aren't I using a double object construction?  May I
use
> > transitive and intransitive verbs?
>
> 	From what I see (and by all means *please* don't take my word for
> it), it looks like there is only an object in the imperitive sense.
> Actually, all that example is is a verb with a suffix and a prefix.

Holidays may delay me, but I've read every message and responded!  I'm still
here!  Please don't answer KLBC questions before I do.  Here's why:

> 	So, by my way of thinking (which isn't up to snuff yet, right
> Qov?) you could easily put a direct object in there:
>
> HIQoymoH Ha'DIbaH!  (let me hear the animal)
>
> Comments from the Grammarians?  jIqImrup....

This is not correct.  {HIQoymoH} means "cause me to hear."  The object is
"me."  TKD adds "(something)" to the translation, but this is not an
invitation to add a second object.  If I say {jIQoy}, it means "I hear," but
what exactly I hear is not specified.  But I do hear something!  This is what
is going on with the translation of {HIQoymoH}.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level